Monday 2 July 2012

Super Socialite, Humanity, Natural Beaute and Jewels!







We got the chance to talk to Socialite and business woman Kari Ellison, founder of 
Jewels for Humanity and the newly launched health and beauty lifestyle site the natural way to super beaute.




What does fashion mean to you now?  Fashion to me is "personal branding".  It is a way to express ourselves, brand ourselves and put out into the world what it is that we want to say about ourselves.  Each new day we consciously or unconsciously choose to make a statement about who we are.  It is a powerful way to attract the things and people that we want in our lives.  I think that many people take the power of fashion for granted and do not realize its continual and powerful effect.

How would you define your city's fashion?  Unfortunately, California has been involved in a rapid "fashion" decline in the past decade.  10 years ago when I would walk through the streets of LA or SF, I would see the most exquisitely dressed individuals.  If one wants to understand our fashion and it's status just watch any of the "Real Housewives" shows.  Everyone looks beautiful but they also look very much alike, with the exception of hairstyles.  We seem to have lost much of our individuality.

How different do you think this is to that of the UK's fashion style? I think European woman are still very much individualistic and still appreciate the complexities and nuances of "fashion".  They seem to understand its importance.  One of the main differences between European Women and American Women is that American Woman (in general) dress for other woman and dress to "fit in" and it  is my belief that European Woman dress for themselves.  I don't think AW realize they are doing this but it is a very interesting dynamic.

Who is your fave British designer and why? How could I ever pick a fave?  There are so many.  I am loving Stellla McCartney and her designs, her purpose and mission, Phillip Treacy is an exceptional artist and I hope I can one day work with him. Christopher Bailey is brilliant and of course there is the iconic Vivienne.

Who is your fave American designer and why? Being a Gemini, this is a very difficult question to answer and it definitely varies with the event, my mood, the man...  Classiscally, I am usually crazy for Donna Karan's Collections and have many of her staples my wardrobe.  When I am feeling classic and want sensual americana, then my go-to designer is Ralph Lauren.  I love Rick Owens for his sexy, edgy vibe.  My taste is varied and unique.  I really don't like dressing like others.  My trademark is something like.... if I know most will be wearing black, I will wear gold or white or red.  If most are wearing a dress, I will wear a pantsuit.  It is always amusing because at the next event most women will be wearing what I had previously worn and I will show up in something completely different.  I am always bucking the norm and tend to set trends, even since HS.  Always tastefully, I hope.  

How would you define the two?  I believe that the difference between British and American Designers is that our American designers very much think "business" and what will sell and they design for the market whilst the British designers are much more artistic and pioneering.  Neither is better than the other and both are needed in the marketplace.

How old were you when you started modeling?  I started modeling at 14.

What is  your fave thing to wear on the catwalk?  We were commenting on this the other day.  For some reason, the older I get, the shorter they put put me in.  I am thinking I need to start protesting this.  I love pushing the boundaries and  fortunately I have the body to do this.  My favorite thing is when I start to walk the runway and you can hear people "gasp" or applaud....those are the outfits I like to wear. 

What advice do you have for anyone wanting to get into that arena now? Modeling is a lifetime of judgement, from yourself and from others.  You need to be tough as nails and not take anything personally.  The best models are those who are comfortable, at ease and NOT self-conscious.  When I model, I tend to be a bit outside my body.  When I was a teen, I was offered opportunities in Japan and New York but I was not strong enough to handle it so I chose to focus on my academics.  I enjoy modeling so much more now than when I was younger and I really only enjoy Runway.  

Why did you choose JFH as your chosen path now? My forte seems to be  finding and creating untapped markets.  When I was in the NFL Business, I created what is now the Billion Dollar performance wear industry.  Prior to MAXIT, all the professional athletes were wearing nylons and borrowing "ski apparel" to keep warm.  We created the high-end performance skin tight apparel, which now is the norm.  Every time I designed something unique, the industry Giants would immediately copy it.  One of the reasons I was successful was because my heart has always been drawn to the underprivileged and the underdogs.  So while the Industry Giants were focusing the winning teams, I was courting the other 28 teams.  Each season things would change and my teams would end up winning.  Year after year, this cemented an intense loyalty to each other.  I have always been painfully aware that the Only thing that separates me from those in desperate need is the "luck of the draw".  It made since to me to combine exquisite luxury items and jewellry with international philanthropy.  This is my ultimate purpose in life.  I love that the simple choice of choosing to purchase from J4H can make such a huge difference in another person's life.  Our "brand" really is for "The Rare Individual who is as beautiful on the Inside as they are on the Outside".  There is such power in our choices.
Where does your inspiration come from? My inspiration really comes from knowing that I am better than no other man but I am luckier than most.  I could never be fulfilled or truly happy if I did not use the gifts given to me to benefit others. Also, as a single mother, I want to be a good role model for my sons. They inspire me daily and I hope that my life and my choices ultimately inspire them.

What advice would you give to women when picking out a casual outfit and evening outfit? I have always found it funny when it is obvious that a woman has sacrificed her comfort for fashion.  We have all seen the woman whose dress is too tight or she has difficulty sitting/walking and she is fidgeting all evening.  Most All woman radiate beauty when they are comfortable (in their clothes and in their own skin).  I remember to this day when I read the novel Princess Daisy.  The chapter that still resonates with me is when Daisy, due to her lack of money, went to a 2nd hand store and purchased a simple black dress for a small sum.  She adorned herself with simple accessories that had meaning to her. When surrounded by women who had spent thousands on outfits and jewels, it was Daisy who was the standout beauty.  It was something I read at a very young age and it is embedded in my subconscious.  To my mind, the most beautiful women are those who look like they do not obsess about themselves.  It is always about being comfortable with yourself.  I feel my sexiest when I have had a long, wonderful day and I am rushed for an event so I quickly throw on a black cashmere top and a perfect french skirt, slide on the perfect shoes and head out the door.  Life and happiness are Beauty. Individualism and creativity are Fashion.  The great international equalizer is that money does not automatically equate to beauty, class, style or fashion. 

What are the essentials for the ladies wardrobe?  We are ONLY speaking Essentials here....
The perfect undergarments are a must!  Improper undergarments will ruin the best of outfits.
 The perfect pair of jeans; distressed, white and dressy.  
A black cashmere sweater.
Black and white Tencel tees.
One or two perfect form fitting skirts.
I wear a lot of dresses.  I have 3 simple, classic,  sensual ones that pack easily and I can dress up or down depending on the shoes and accessories.
A signature leather jacket  
A signature handbag  
   
   Signature Sunglasses 
  
  (Some) Signature Jewelry
And of course, a Signature Fragrance.


You can join Ms Ellison and her ventures through her social sites 


http://thenaturalwaytosuperbeaute.wordpress.com/ 
http://www.jewelsforhumanity.co/
http://www.facebook.com/jewelsforhumanity
http://www.facebook.com/eatingforbeauty

No comments:

Post a Comment